One either gets showered with gifts and treated like a complete princess, or you end up sat on your sofa with a tub of ice cream seeing how wonderful everyone else's day is going, wondering where you went wrong in life trying to find the man of your dreams and whether you should call your ex and give him another chance, which in fact may make it even worse if you come across as a desperate lunatic who still hasn't moved on from last April's one night stand and in fact he's actually busy with someone else he's been with for the past 9 months, currently stood under the Eiffel tower in Paris.
Lets try and avoid that..
How to deal with Valentines day this year
If you are taken..
If you do have a date this year, you'll be happy to know that I've come across two drop dead gorgeous looks that may inspire you for your outfit choice this Friday.
Now clearly you can alter these depending on where you're going, for example, you may want to dress the look down a little if say, your date is at Nando's compared to if you have had a table revered for you both in the Ritz hotel since the start of the year. Here is look number one..
Fun, flirty and young! This look gives off a casual yet classy vibe, the pastel colours are welcoming and easy on the eye which is good if the date is more low key and isn't too serious. Team natural blues with warm pinks to break the outfit up and then any neutral accessories will go down an absolute treat!
Since uploading this post the River Island Pencil skirt has gone out of stock, but here's something even better - a little treasure
Ready for look number two?
Sexy and sophisticated. This eye catching look may seem daring, but will look incredible if pulled off well. Just add a drop of confidence! Red and Black are always the most striking combination when it comes to impressing someone.
So if you've got a hot date on the cards why not go for a Royal flush?
Unfortunately since this post the Rag&Bone Coat has sold out, but I want to introduce you to my new favourite Burberry trench coat - you're welcome.
If you are single..
However, if for whatever reason, you don't have any plans and it feels like everyone around you does, don't feel diminished as you may be astonished to hear that a staggering 63% of people also don't have any plans on Valentines day! So lets take a look at the perks - yes that's right perks!! - of being single on the most Romantic day of the year..
1. You don't have to spend money! No trawling through the high-street in the rain, driving yourself crazy over what to buy your partner. Panicking over what size boxers he is, what size bra she is, is it rude to ask? Inappropriate? Will I give it away? Are we even getting presents or will I look clingy? Right colour? Material? Brand?
Nope. None of that. In fact, why don't you go and buy yourself a whole new outfit instead. If you were looking for permission, here it is. Isn't that the best present after all?
2. You can do whatever YOU want. You don't have to record your favourite program, and avoid twitter the whole night in case of spoilers just to waste time on an awkward date with someone you hardly know to make yourself feel loved. In fact why don't you curl up on the sofa watching your favourite program with a tub of Ben and Jerry's while you order a dominos that you don't have to share with anyone else! Don't worry about the calories, it's not like you're going to have to look good naked any time soon..
3. You can actually INVEST YOUR TIME. Not to be a pessimist but most relationships at our age don't last. So invest your time in something that will. Catch up on uni work to get your dream job or keep Valentine's day hot and sweaty by going to the gym! While everyone else is over indulging in chocolate you'll be getting a 6 pack!
4. Reconnect with people who will always love you. Give your mum a call, she probably misses you. Stay in with the dog, pets are actually very therapeutic.. Or go out with your friends; you might even pull last minute! Remember you have no commitments!
5. The morning after the night before. None of that awkwardness; "what happened last night" malarkey. You'll be bright eyed and bushy tailed, ready to start the weekend! Plus, on the 15th all the sweets and chocolate will be half the price, best of both worlds right?
Happy Valentines day, love W x
Full credit goes to www.jadore-fashion.com I own no right to any of these photographs.